Awatea Forest Fund is a diversified forestry and carbon fund, focused on long term sustainable forestry investments. Targeting regular returns and capital enhancement for its investors through the ownership of land and trees, sale of carbon credits and sustainable harvest of the fund's forests.
Roger Dickie New Zealand (RDNZ) is the manager of the fund, with more than 50 years of forestry investment and management experience. RDNZ is the leading investment manager, with NZ $1.25 billion of forestry assets under management for retail and wholesale investors.
Awatea stands apart, establishing a pathway for investors to own and take part in an expertly managed portfolio of premium forest assets. The fund is strongly benefited via its focus on diversification (species, geography, age class & revenues) and liquidity (pooling of investors, limited redemptions, and an active secondary market).
Targeting the ownership of 5,000 hectares of freehold forest assets, establishing an ideal blend of carbon sequestering and timber producing investments, with a strong focus on positive environmental and economic outcomes.
The primary objectives of Awatea Forest Fund are:
- source, acquire and establish a diversified portfolio of forestry assets throughout the proven forest growth and infrastructure areas of New Zealand by investing in freehold real property and other authorised forestry assets.
- manage those forestry assets with the intention of generating regular returns to Investors (and, where appropriate, distributing those returns to Investors) through harvesting the trees, trading carbon credits, and other forestry-related activities; and
- to the extent returns are not distributed to Investors, increase the net asset value of the Fund and as a result generate capital growth in the value of Investors’ Units.
The fund owns five forest properties across four geographic regions, providing a total effective area of 1,442 hectares (29% of target). The Net Asset Value of the fund, as of 30 June 2023, was $20.08 million with an average investment of $136,000 per investor.
Awatea has established an excellent performance track record and is well placed to capitalise on present and future opportunities made available via the New Zealand’s Emissions Trading Scheme and the positive outlook for timber demand.
Awatea is an evergreen fund, meaning there is no intended termination date, making it an excellent long term and intergenerational investment.
Why Forestry Investment:
- Risk & Return – Forestry is impacted by a different set of economic factors from other traditional investments. Over the long term, forestry has performed in line and often ahead of equity indices, but with less volatility.
- Income in Perpetuity – An investment in forestry can span multiple rotations and multiple generations, a safe and reliable way to pass on wealth inter-generationally.
- Supply & Demand – Global supply of logs is decreasing due to deforestation while global demand for wood products increases. World Bank estimates timber consumption to triple by 2050.
- Inflation Hedge – Forests tend to provide an inflation hedge due to the underlying biomass growth. Furthermore, high growth rates and extended harvest windows allow the targeting of favourable market conditions.
- Growth Rates – New Zealand’s ideal climate, including fertile soils, temperate weather and high rainfall provide some of the highest growth rates in the world.
- Diversified Returns – New Zealand’s commitment to climate change enhances revenues generated by forestry, monetising the carbon dioxide stored in our forests. A unique and diversified cashflow, complimenting the returns from traditional forestry investment.
Join the RDNZ family and invest in Awatea, a unique and diversified forestry and carbon investment fund. Find out more here: https://syndex.rogerdickie.co.nz/